“Very Straight and Caring Anna is very caring and straight with you. Don't be fooled by people who want an attorney tell them everything is ok when it is not. Go to them if you want straight answers and will help to get done what you need to get done.”

“Excellent!! Anna was highly recommended to me by a former client of hers and a close friend of mine...I was so happy when I got my O-1 approval! Anna is very, very nice and reliable and her assistants are the same!”

“EXCEPTIONAL LAWYERS. This is the best immigration law firm I have come across in a long time. These lawyers are passionate about what they do. They truly care. I say this because I have met a lot of lawyers that do not even return phone calls from clients. I truly recommend the Asherson, Klein and Darbinian office because they took my very difficult case, put in a lot of time and attention and successfully completed my case.”

“FANTASTIC AVVOCATO. The best avvocato in America. Grazie Mille per la sua assistenza. Your fantastic team assistenza risolvere il mio problema. Ms. Darbinian, You are the Best: Bellisimo. You make the Impossibile, Possibile. After staying illegal for so many years, I am again able to travel. I am in Italy with my family because you help me achieve the American Dream. I will see you in two weeks when I travel back to America with my new visa. I will never forget what you did for me. GRAZIE MILLE.”

"... I would also like to thank your staff who have what it takes to get things done. But I would really like to say thank you to Nadia, as well, as she has been superb to me and really spent time with me."


Asylum or Refugee Immigration

Every year, thousands of people come to the U.S. in need of protection from persecution in their country on account of their race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion. Those found eligible for asylum are permitted to remain in the U.S. for as long as they "have a well-founded fear of persecution" (USCIS) .

The Refugee Act of 1980, and subsequent modifications of it incorporated into the Immigration and Nationality Act, state that, "Any alien who is physically present in the United States or who arrives in the United States ... irrespective of such alien's status, may apply for asylum ..." (sec. 208 of the INA)

To apply for immigration through this category, you must first get a refugee/ asylum status in the United States.

The whole process generally takes 60 days from the date of filing the application. However, it may take longer if you are currently in valid status, were interviewed at a district office, or your case is being reviewed by the staff at the Asylum Division Headquarters. In these situations, the decision is usually mailed to you.

You may apply for Permanent Resident status in the U.S. under this category one year after you get the status of a refugee or asylee. If you are a refugee, you are required by law to apply for Permanent Resident status. This condition is not applicable if you are an asylee; however, it may be in your best interest to do so.

The basic requirements to apply for a Permanent Resident status for a refugee or an asylee are:

If you are a Refugee:

If you are an Asylee:

  • You have been physically present in the U.S. for at least one year after being admitted as a refugee.
  • You have been physically present in the U.S. for at least one year after being granted asylum.
  • You are the spouse or child of a refugee.
  • You should continue to meet the definition of an asylee.
  • You have not abandoned your refugee status.
  • You have not abandoned your status as an asylee.
  • You have not had your refugee admission terminated.
  • You are not firmly resettled in any foreign country

Procedure to Apply for Asylum or Refugee Immigration

Once you satisfy the basic requirements for applying for Permanent Resident status mentioned above, you must apply for an adjustment of status. Prior to applying for this adjustment of status, though, you should have lived in the U.S. as an asylee/refugee or derivative refugee/asylee for at least one year.

Any foreign language documents must be submitted with a certified English translation. The translator must certify that he/she is competent to perform the translation and that the translation is accurate.

Note : Translations submitted without a legible copy of the foreign document are not sufficient.

While your application to adjust status is pending, you are permitted to travel outside the U.S.; however you must havea valid Refugee Travel Document to re-enter the country.

As an asylee, you are authorized to work in the U.S. incident to your status. If you want a document from USCIS that can serve as evidence of both your work authorization and identity, you have to request this at the service center that serves your location. Please note that it will take roughly three months to process this document.

    Call Us Now
800 400 4055
FAQs I Site Map I Disclaimer
Immigration Attorneys - Citizenship Attorneys - Green Card Lawyers - Naturalization Attorneys - Deportation Attorneys - Removal Attorneys
Los Angeles & Encino, Los Angeles County, close to the following cities and more: Adams , Agoura Hills, Alhambra, Aliso Viejo, Anaheim, Arcadia, Arleta , Artesia, Atwater Village , Avalon, Azusa, Balboa, Baldwin Park, Barnes City , Bel Air , Bell, Bell Gardens, Bellflower, Benedict Canyon, Beverly Glen , Beverly Hills, Boyle Heights, Bradbury, Brea, Brentwood, Buena Park, Burbank, Calabasas, Canoga Park, Carson, Cerritos, Chatsworth, Chinatown , Claremont, Coldwater Canyon, Commerce, Compton, Corona Del Mar , Costa Mesa, Coto de Caza, Covina, Crenshaw , Cudahy, Culver City, Cypress, Dana Point, Diamond Bar, Dove Canyon, Downey, Downtown Los Angeles , Duarte, Eagle Rock , Echo Park , El Monte, El Segundo, El Sereno , Encino , Expo Park , Foothill Ranch, Fountain Valley, Fullerton, Garden Grove, Gardena, Glassell Park , Glendale, Glendora, Granada Hills , Green Meadows , Hancock Park , Harbor City , Hawaiian Gardens, Hawthorne, Hermosa Beach, Hidden Hills, Highland Park , Hollywood , Huntington Beach, Huntington Park, Industry, Inglewood, Irvine, Irwindale, Koreatown , La Brea , La Canada Flintridge, La Habra, La Habra Heights, La Mirada, La Palma, La Puente, La Verne, Ladera Ranch, Laguna Beach, Laguna Hills, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Woods, Lake Balboa , Lake Forest, Lakeview Terrace , Lakewood, Lancaster, Lawndale, Lincoln Heights , Little Tokyo , Lomita, Long Beach, Los Alamitos, Los Angeles, Los Feliz, Lynwood, Malibu, Manhattan Beach, Mar Vista , Maywood, Miracle Mile, Mission Hills, Mission Viejo, Monarch Beach, Monrovia, Montebello, Monterey Park, Mount Olympus , Newport Beach, Newport Coast, North Hills , North Hollywood , North Shoestring , Northridge , Norwalk, Orange, Pacific Palisades , Pacoima , Palmdale, Palms, Palos Verdes Estates, Panorama City , Paramount, Park La Brea , Pasadena, Pico Rivera, Placentia, Playa del Rey , Pomona, Porter Ranch , Portola Hills, Rancho Palos Verdes, Rancho Park , Rancho Santa Margarita, Redondo Beach, Reseda , Rolling Hills, Rolling Hills Estates, Rosemead, San Clemente, San Dimas, San Fernando, San Gabriel, San Juan Capistrano, San Marino, San Pedro , Santa Ana, Santa Clarita, Santa Fe Springs, Santa Monica, Seal Beach, Sepulveda , Sherman Oaks , Sierra Madre, Signal Hill, Silverlake, South El Monte, South Gate, South Park , South Pasadena, South Vermont , Stanton, Studio City , Sun Valley, Sunland, Sylmar , Talega, Tarzana , Temple City, Thousand Oaks, Toluca Lake , Torrance, Trabuco Canyon, Tujunga , Tustin, Valley Glen , Valley Village , Van Nuys , Venice, Vermont Square , Vernon, Villa Park, Walnut, Warner Center , Watts , West Adams , West Covina, West Hills, West Hollywood, West Los Angeles , Westchester, Westlake, Westlake Village, Westminster, Westwood , Whittier, Wilmington , Winnetka , Woodland Hills and Yorba Linda.